Find out more...
The Springs and Gorges of the Allier (GR470) is a 200km trail you can walk on 10 to 12 days. Along it, you will discover the gorges from Brioude to its spring in Lozère. It's a wild trail between Velay and Gévaudan, which will make you cross valleys and plateaus but without moving away from the river.
This trail doesn't contain any particular difficulty and will make you enjoy numerous view points from the cliffs. As well, during your walk you will certainly find information about salmons as locals have made efforts these last years to reintroduce the species. Also, you will discover the local medieval heritage with the villages of Lavoûte-Chilhac and Pradelles, which is one of the most remarkable villages in France.
Ideas for stages
You can use the following stages to prepare your hike. Of course, these can be modified according to your chosen accommodations:
- Brioude - Villeneuve d’Allier, 20.6 km
- Villeneuve d’Allier - Lavoûte-Chilhac, 13.8 km
- Lavoûte-Chilhac - Langeac, 18.4 km
- Langeac - Prades, 18.5 km
- Prades - Monistrol d’Allier, 12.4 km
- Monistrol d’Allier - Pont d’Alleyras, 17.6 km
- Pont d’Alleyras - Chapeauroux, 22.2 km
- Chapeauroux - Landos, 12.7 km
- Landos - Langogne, 20 km
- Langogne - Cheylard-l’Évêque, 17.5 km
- Cheylard-l’Évêque - La Bastide-Puylaurent, 22.5 km