Find out more...
The Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert trail is a hike of 240 km that can be covered in about 12 days. The trail starts at Aumont-Aubrac in Lozère and will take you to Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert in the department of Hérault.
You'll thus pass through the Aubrac plateaus and the Tarn gorges, between the nature parks of the Cévennes and the Grands Causses. Your hike will end as you pass through the Circus of Navacelles and then arrive at Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert, with its remarkable abbey.
The path will be an opportunity to discover magnificent villages such as Meyrueis, Sainte Enimie and of course Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert.
Between these villages, the Saint-Guilhem trail is a succession of wide-open spaces with a very low population density and exceptional nature.
For example, the Aubrac meadows are home to many varieties of flowers, as well as the famous Aubrac cow! You may also spot raptors and possibly deer or European beavers.
Ideas for stages
You can use the following stages to prepare your hike. Of course, these can be modified according to your chosen accommodations:
- Step 1 : Aumont-Aubrac - Montgros : 22 km
- Step 2 : Montgros - Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac : 18 km
- Step 3 : Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac - Saint-Pierre-de-Nogaret : 18 km
- Step 4 : Saint-Pierre-de-Nogaret - La Canourgue : 22 km
- Step 5 : La Canourgue - Sainte-Enimie : 28.5 km
- Step 6 : Sainte-Enimie - Meyrueis : 29 km
- Step 7 : De Meyrueis - L’Espérou : 19 km
- Step 8 : L’Espérou - Vigan : 16 km
- Step 9 : le Vigan - Cirque de Navacelles : 21 km
- Step 10 : Navacelles - Saint-Maurice-de-Navacelles : 15 km
- Step 11 : Saint-Maurice-de-Navacelles - Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert : 20 km