Shuttle : Consult the schedule & prices
Guidebook : Le Chemin de Saint-Guilhem-le-désert
Official website : http://www.chemin-st-guilhem.fr
Accomodation : the association of the Friends of the Chemin de Saint-Guilhem lists the accommodation available along the path.
Milestone report : Order it here
It is at the beginning an ancient transhumance route, known as the “great Aubrac trail” linking the Montpellierain hinterland to the Aubrac volcanic plateau.
Since the early Middle Ages, travellers have used it: the foundation in 1002 of the hospice of Notre Dame de Bonahuc (now Notre Dame du Bonheur), near Mont Aigoual, where six Augustinian canons ensure the protection of passers-by.
A commercial route giving access to the fairs of Meyrueis and Le Vigan, attested in the 1020s, the development of the cult of Saint Guilhem (Saint Guillaume d'Orange) and especially the relic of the holy cross placed in the Abbey of Gellone has seen its importance increase.
The uncertainties of the 15th century (epidemics – 100-year war) and the Wars of Religion (16th century) would dry up the flow of pilgrims. The Camin Romieu remained frequented by merchants until the end of the 17th century and then abandoned in favour of the new royal roads that could be built during the Camisards' War (1685-1710).
Until the 1960s, transhumant herds would use it as far as Aubrac. Nowadays, only the southern part (from the garrigues to Aigoual and Meyrueis) is still practiced by several transhumant herds.